I am still trying to work out exactly what my film will look like. I would like to make it hand drawn. I am trying out acrylic paint, oil pastels, gauche, ink, colouring pencils and normal pencils and i will hopefully find a solution. Above are some character designs for ‘mum’ (working title). On the left the mother and on the right the daughter. I think the daughter will have a sort of mushroom like body to distinguish her from the curvier mother. I would like the whole film to be rounded, warm and friendly feeling. Below are a few visual references. Japanese Hiragana which is like for its roundedness and a painting I did which I like for it’s colours. I am going to test out doing a similar colour palette for my film.
Below are some more tests for the film. I still have lots of tests to do.
I think I naturally enjoy using ink so I think I should use a mixture of ink and paint but need to work out if I need to draw it all in pencil first.
Another thing I have been thinking about is the different locations in the film to try and clear up in my head where the different things will take place.
- inside kitchen
- inside bedroom
- inside mum’s sofa
- outside view of kitchen window
- outside with view of train
- outside in park (view we see out of kitchen window)
- intro/birth/growing up/grief/ending – abstract space with no background – at the moment
Next week we start animating so before then…
- style frames for film
- write a tag line for film and stick by my desk
- finish adding changes to animatic so it is all really clear
- get in touch with my second year helper and decide what they are going to do!
more Michael Dudok De Witt – i love the warm, soft colours:
and some photos of the sky I took: