shapes

SHAPES: graduation film

My idea is about a family of shapes
Theme of the film: loss
Story beats:
1. the wooing One shape meets another and tries to woo them – tension between them
2. the romance They become a couple and enjoy dating activities
3. the pregnancy One shape becomes pregnant. Q – how to make a shape pregnant?
4. the euphoria early family life the addition of the baby shape. the three start life together and a repetition of various day to day activities begins
5. the loss One day only the baby and one of the couple are there. one shape is lost.
6. the echo of the lost shape In a way that I am yet to decide, the shape that is lost will remain with the other two. Perhaps as they have to rearrange their routine around the missing shape, the lost one will be visible. Perhaps in their (the two left) negative space they can make the lost shape.

I now understand what the structure of my story is but need to decide what my characters look like exactly and what they will do within each section. The theme of the film is loss and I would like to audience to come away with not sadness at the end necessarily but a sense that the lost shape will always remain in the lives of the remaining two, in some way. It is also about how shapes can be visually pleasing and how they can work together. Here are a few pages from pages of my sketchbook of collages of things I could find in with shapes involved for inspiration. At this moment, I am hoping my film’s audience could be both children and adults however this may change as I start to make it.

Below is an initial thought on what shapes they will be. I think the mother/lost shape will be a triangle, the father figure a square and the baby a spiky circle. After having our day with Sarah Woolner, the script writer, I have realised I need to give more depth and back story to my characters so that I know them better. That is something I am going to work on this week.

One reference I was recomended when I first had this idea was ‘The missing piece meets the Big O’ which uses shape as tools for story telling. It is very effective in it’s simplicity and universality.

The Missing Piece Meets the Big O: Shel Silverstein’s Sweet Allegory for the Simple Secret of Love and the Key to Nurturing Relationships